The monitoring of construction noise that impacts
the community from local projects can payback the contractor by building a better relationship with the surrounding community and local regulatory agencies and avoiding costly delays and penalties during operations. An effective noise monitoring program
will allow the contractor to understand the noise sources and time periods that are causing concerns and then develop a plan for mitigation.
Many construction projects are taking place over more lengthy time periods and operations often
continue 24 hours a day to optimize efficiency and minimize impact on work day traffic. By implementing a 24 hour noise monitoring system, with real-time communication and alert notification, a contractor can demonstrate to the community and regulatory
agencies that they are sensitive to the community and prepared to root-cause and correct any problems that may arise. Larson Davis also offers the option to make sound recording in .wav format of any event that exceeds the designated noise threshold.
This allows the contractor to listen to the event that is causing the alert and confirm if it is part of their operation or another extraneous noise source. It is common for a contractor to agree to meet established noise limits, but to identify and
exclude all noise sources not generated by the construction operations.
Larson Davis systems offer a complete set of metrics including octave filters (1/1 and 1/3), frequency weighting, time weighting, Ln percentiles, community day and
night noise calculations (Lden and CNEL), and more. Selecting a system that serves the needs of the project and the budget will include evaluating variables such things as:
- Monitoring Duration
- Power Requirements
- Installation and Mounting
- Portability and Deployment
- Remote Communication
- Web Publishing and Alert Notification
- Sound File Recording
- Data Analysis and Reporting
- Open Architecture and Customization
- 24-hr Technical Support
- Monitoring Construction Noise
- Demolition Noise Monitoring
- Blast Noise Monitoring
- Pile Driving Noise Monitoring
- Bridge Building Noise Monitoring
- Delivery Noise Monitoring
- Equipment Noise monitoring
- Environmental Noise Monitoring
Categories of Noise Monitoring Systems
- SoundAdvisor™ for Permanent, Long-term Noise Monitoring: Model
NMS045 delivers 24/7 connectivity, continuous power capabilities, and a rugged design to simplify your long-term testing. Encased in a fiberglass enclosure, NMS045 is mounted to a permanently placed pole. With easy installation and maintenance,
AC or solar powered options, and email or text alerts of exceedances, Model NMS045 is an ideal permanent monitoring solution.
- SoundAdvisor™ for Portable, Short-term Noise Monitoring: Model
NMS044, similar to Model NMS045, is a completely wireless solution designed to run indefinitely on solar power, allowing you to take measurements and view them 24/7. A rugged case houses the system making it an ideal solution for remote noise
monitoring. The Model NMS044 can be deployed rapidly and easily. As with NMS045, you can receive real-time alerts of exceedances.
- Basic Portable Noise Monitoring: SoundExpert® Model
LxT offers basic functionality for short-term monitoring. Deploy the system and operate on battery power for up to two weeks before retrieving and downloading measurement data. The system does not offer 24/7 access to measurements or real-time
- Attended Noise Monitoring: For on-site assessments and evaluations of individual noise sources over a period of minutes or hours a sound level meter such as the SoundAdvisor™ Model 831C or SoundExpert® LxT can
be used via a tripod or hand held monitoring.