How do I setup Sierra Wireless LS300 for sending SMS with NoiseTutor?
Sierra Wireless LS300 Description
The Sierra Wireless LS300 is a new model wireless gateway designed to replace the Raven product line and support 4G data.
The LS300 is used inside the NoiseTutor system to provide a wireless data connection and SMS messaging. For data service the factory default settings are typically adequate although for SMS messaging to work, some configuration of the LS300 is necessary.
- Sierra Wireless LS300
- SIM card with messaging and a data plan. Voice is not needed
- APN name (provided by cellular service provider)
- CAT5 network cable
Configuring the LS300
The LS300 has a built-in web page called AceManager that is used to configure the device and detailed instructions for accessing and using AceManager are included in the LS300 User Manual. This document provides an overview of the necessary steps.
1) Connect a PC (typically the NoiseTutor PC) to the LS300 using a CAT5 cable and power on the LS300
2) Open a web browser and enter http://192.168.13.31:9191 in the address bar and the login screen should appear. If you don’t see the login screen, reboot the PC and repeat this step.
3) The default administrator user name is user and the default password is 12345
4) Most cellular service providers require an Access Point Name, APN, be configured for the system to work properly. When an APN is needed but not entered, they LS300 will not be able to access the internet.
a. Acquire the APN name from your cellular service provider
b. On the top tab, select WAN/Cellular
c. In the box titled APN enter the APN name from your CSP
d. Continue to step 5 or select Apply and Reboot if SMS messaging is not being configured
e. When the APN is correctly set and cellular service is available, the LS300 will be able to acquire an IP address
5) On the top tabs, select Services then on the vertical tabs select SMS
6) In the drop down titled SMS Mode select Gateway Only
7) In the field titled ALEOS Port enter then number 17341
8) Select Apply and then Reboot
The LS300 is now configured to send SMS messages using UDP port 17341
Configuring NoiseTutor to Send SMS using the LS300
1) In the NoiseTutor software, select Setup > Messaging > SMS to open the SMS setup dialog
2) On the dropdown titled Select SMS protocol select Sierra Wireless IP-SMS
3) In the field titled Modem IP address enter the default IP address of the LS300 which is 192.168.13.31
4) In the field titled Modem UDP port enter the number 17341
5) Use the button Send test SMS… to verify that an SMS message can be sent then click OK
6) NoiseTutor is now configured to send SMS messages. Go to Setup > Event Detection > Event to configure an SMS message when an event has occurred.