Construction Noise Monitoring
The monitoring of construction noise that impacts the community from local projects can payback the contractor by building a better relationship with the surrounding community and local regulatory agencies and avoiding costly delays and penalties during operations. An effective noise monitoring program will allow the contractor to understand the noise sources and time periods that are causing concerns and then develop a plan for mitigation.
Many construction projects are taking place over more lengthy time periods and operations often continue 24 hours a day to optimize efficiency and minimize impact on work day traffic. By implementing a 24 hour noise monitoring system, with real-time communication and alert notification, a contractor can demonstrate to the community and regulatory agencies that they are sensitive to the community and prepared to root-cause and correct any problems that may arise. Larson Davis also offers the option to make sound recording in .wav format of any event that exceeds the designated noise threshold. This allows the contractor to listen to the event that is causing the alert and confirm if it is part of their operation or another extraneous noise source. It is common for a contractor to agree to meet established noise limits, but to identify and exclude all noise sources not generated by the construction operations.
Larson Davis systems offer a complete set of metrics including octave filters (1/1 and 1/3), frequency weighting, time weighting, Ln percentiles, community day and night noise calculations (Lden and CNEL), and more. Selecting a system that serves the needs of the project and the budget will include evaluating variables such things as:
- Monitoring Constuction Noise
- Demolition Noise Monitoring
- Blast Noise Monitoring
- Pile Driving Noise Monitoring
- Bridge Building Noise Monitoring
- Delivery Noise Monitoring
- Equipment Noise monitoring
- Environmental Noise Monitoring
Larson Davis provides these categories of
Noise Monitoring Systems:
- Permanent Noise Monitoring: A suite of solutions that include outdoor microphone/preamps with remote calibration checks, remote data communication, weather sensors, data analysis software, all-weather enclosures, tilt-down poles, and more.
- Semi-permanent/Portable Noise Monitoring: Noise monitoring kits that can be rapidly deployed and easily such as the NoiseTutor and the SoundExpert LxT NMS. Suitable for duration from 2 weeks on battery power to several years on AC or solar power.
- Attended Noise Monitoring: For on-site assessments and evaluations of individual noise sources over a period of minutes or hours a sound level meter such as the Model 831 or SoundExpert LxT can be used via a tripod or hand held monitoring.